Official: Indonesian family that joined IS now in Iraq
JAKARTA, Indonesia — A Jakarta family who joined the Islamic State group in Syria out of an apparently naive belief it would give them a better life is now in Iraq and in contact with the Indonesian government, a senior Indonesian official said Friday.
Deputy Foreign Minister Abdurrahman M. Fachir said that the family of 17, which includes young children and teenagers, is safe but also indicated their journey won’t be straightforward.
The government in Baghdad only controls parts of Iraq and the family’s travel involves dealing with different authorities depending on what region they’re moving through. Some areas are controlled by Iraqi Kurdish troops known as the Peshmerga while others are held by government troops and various militias. The family crossed into Iraq from Syria on Tuesday, a local Kurdish official told The Associated Press earlier this week.
“Our representatives in Baghdad are trying to oversee this process,” Fachir said. “But of course, we have to really understand the situation.”


