AP Exclusive: MTV, record label debate ‘Despacito’ video
NEW YORK — MTV says the uber-popular video for “Despacito” didn’t earn a nomination at its Video Music Awards because it wasn’t submitted for consideration, but Universal Music Latin Entertainment says MTV didn’t ask the label to submit the video until last week — two weeks after the network announced its VMA nominees.
“Despacito” has not aired on MTV or MTV2, but it is being played on MTV Tres, the company’s Latin channel. As for the VMAs, MTV said “the ‘Despacito’ video was not submitted for consideration” in a statement to The Associated Press on Monday.
“Until last week, MTV hadn’t solicited UMLE to submit the video for consideration,” a spokesperson for the record label said in a statement to the AP after it published a story on the reason for “Despacito’s” exclusion from the awards show.
It is unclear why the network solicited the label for a submission after the nominations had already been announced. MTV did not immediately respond to a message seeking comment Monday afternoon.


