Subscribe to the 100% free rdnewsNOW daily newsletter!
(rdnewsNOW)
Sept. 5-15, 2023

Trial dates set for pair charged in central Alberta shootings

Sep 13, 2022 | 3:00 PM

Trial dates have now been set for two men each charged with four counts of attempted murder following a series of shootings on the O’Chiese First Nation last year.

Zachary Yellowface, 21, and Keith Beaverbones, 29, both of the O’Chiese First Nation, are scheduled for trial in Red Deer from Sept. 5-15, 2023.

It was about 5 p.m. on April 5, 2021, when RCMP in Rocky Mountain House received a complaint about a male shot in a home in the Sunchild area.

A second report of a shooting came in a half an hour later at the O’Chiese Marketplace, where police said a second male had reportedly been shot.

Then, just before 6 p.m., a third report of a shooting at a home was received where two men had apparently been shot.

Residents were advised to shelter in place as RCMP searched for the suspects. Police said four adult male victims, 18, 19, 20 and 34, were taken to hospital.

Mounties said the suspects were eventually arrested with help from Air Services and Police Dog Services.

The pair was ordered to stand trial following a preliminary hearing in June of this year.