As the weekend winds down and we all get ready to start another busy week here in Red Deer central Alberta, here’s are some quick thoughts from yours truly on some of the latest happenings in our great region…
- First, a shout out to my amazing mom and all the other mothers out there who make the world a wonderful place: Happy Mother’s Day! (I posted this on Sunday... so it's not late!!)
- You may recall a couple months ago when I said how silly it was that the province was sending a company around to install energy efficient lightbulbs and such rather than let people buy and install their own. Wouldn’t you know it, the government recently announced that you can indeed now purchase certified energy efficient products (and install them yourself) and apply for a rebate. Clearly, the powers that be read my column, right? That’s what I’m telling myself, at least. In no way did I jump the gun on the matter ;)
- When it comes to photo radar and the new “speed on green” cameras coming to Red Deer, there’s a pretty foolproof method to ensuring you don’t get a ticket. Anyone know what it is? (HINT: There are white signs with numbers on them posted all throughout the city to help you out)
- When the grind starts to get to you down and grumpiness sets in, think of Caden Johnson and how he has fun and inspires those around him every day. He’s quite a kid!
- Kudos to the City of Lacombe for doing what appears to be a good job of keeping everyone up to date when it comes to the Main Street Project. While it unavoidably is creating traffic headaches, at least everyone is being well-informed about what’s happening.
- Props to the RDC students who spoke up about the awful long-term care atrocities in Lacombe. One wonders if/when any action would’ve taken place if they hadn’t come forward with their concerns.
- A ‘thumbs up’ to ReThink Red Deer for their food forest project!
- Even as a Flames fan, I can appreciate the amazing turnaround the Edmonton Oilers went through this season. With the “Decade of Disaster” now firmly a thing of the past, a team and their city created a new spark this spring, and it looks like these Oilers are on their way to being a perennial Stanley Cup threat. I’m still not a fan of the Orange Crush, their blue jerseys are much nicer, in my opinion, but the Oilers awakening still quite the spectacle.
- The local sports scene continues to be a hot one with Riggers baseball and Rampage lacrosse on the go and Buccaneers getting ready for their season opener. There’s plenty of great minor sports to check out as well, so please do get out and support local athletes!
We love hearing what you think about what's going on in our great city and region. Post a comment on a story you read here on our site, interact on our Facebook page, check out our videos, and drop us a line sometime ([email protected])!
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.