Local man pleads guilty to involvement in 2006 Eckville murder

By rdnewsNOW staff
September 11, 2018 - 4:22pm

A central Alberta man has admitted to his involvement in an Eckville murder 12 years ago. 

Shayne Earl Gulka, 46, pleaded guilty to accessory after the fact to murder in Red Deer Court of Queen’s Bench on Tuesday. He was originally charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping with a handgun in the death of Bradley William Webber.

The 46-year-old was gunned down inside his RV on Oct. 24, 2006.

Gulka admitted to driving the getaway car for the two men who carried out the killing. He will be sentenced on Friday.

Crown prosecutor Adam May and defence lawyer Michael Scrase are working on a joint submission calling for a sentence of two years minus credit for time already served.

In an agreed statement of facts presented in court Tuesday, Gulka was said to be driving the getaway vehicle after Kevin Edward Brown and another man, both part of Calgary street gang F.O.B. (Fresh off the Boat or Forever Our Brother), shot Webber to death.

The statement says Gulka was not a member or an associate of the FOB but knew Brown from a young age as their families were friends.

In the fall of 2006, court heard Brown and the other man – identified only as “A.B.” – launched a plan to take over Bradley Webber's drug trade. Gulka knew Webber from participating in the drug lifestyle in the Red Deer area.

On the night of the murder, Brown and A.B. picked up Gulka from his residence in Caroline and were armed with guns as they planned to kill Webber that night, though Gulka was not aware of that plan.

Gulka was then asked by the pair to arrange a meeting with Webber to buy drugs, but Webber instead sent an associate to that meeting near Eckville. When Webber's associate arrived, Gulka asked him to get out of his vehicle to meet the person he was buying the drugs for.

The associate was shot in the leg by Brown and A.B., who demanded he take them to Webber. The associate was then loaded into his vehicle where he directed them to Webber's location at a nearby acreage. Gulka followed in the vehicle they had arrived in.

Once there, Brown and A.B. took the associate to Webber's fifth wheel trailer while Gulka remained in the vehicle he was driving. Inside the trailer, Brown and A.B. demanded that Webber hand over his drug supply then fired their weapons at Webber and killed him. Another person inside the trailer at the time was not harmed.

Brown and A.B. then fled the trailer and hopped into the vehicle with Gulka and the trio drove away.

The agreed statement of facts also reveals Gulka heard the gunshots being fired and became aware while driving from the scene that Brown and A.B. had killed Webber.

Gulka drove the pair to an acquaintance’s residence not far from the shooting and dropped them off before returning home. Brown and A.B. returned to Calgary later that night or early the next morning.

Brown, 35, was charged with first-degree murder and kidnapping but died in March of this year without ever appearing in court in relation to this case. 

The man known as A.B. was granted immunity in relation to Webber’s murder.

Webber’s daughter is expected to read a victim impact statement during Friday’s sentencing hearing.

Cuthbertson remembered as man of character, kindness and grace

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.