An extended period with maximum daily temperatures reaching or exceeding 29C and minimum overnight temperatures of 14C or above is expected to last until at least Friday.
Temperatures in central Alberta will be slightly cooler on Tuesday however daytime highs are expected to be in the low to mid 30s for the remainder of the week.
The heat warning is in effect for:
- City of Red Deer
- Red Deer County near Sylvan Lake, Penhold,Innisfail, Bowden, Pine Lake, Elnora, Lousana, Delburne, Spruce View, Red Lodge Prov. Park and Stephansson House
- Lacombe County near Lacombe, Blackfalds, Bentley, Clive, Alix, Mirror, Eckville
- Ponoka County near Ponoka and Maskwacis
- County of Stettler near Stettler, Nevis, Rochon Sands, Big Valley, Botha, Gadsby, Byemoor, Endiang, Donalda
- Flagstaff County near Forestburg and Galahad
- Camrose County near Bashaw and Meeting Creek
- County of Paintearth near Halkirk and Big Knife Prov. Park.
Residents of and visitors to the above warned regions are advised to take the following precautions to protect themselves, their families and their neighbours:
- Consider rescheduling outdoor activities to cooler hours of the day
- Take frequent breaks from the heat, spending time indoors at cooled buildings (including malls or indoor pools)
- Drink plenty of water and other non-alcoholic, non-caffeinated beverages to stay hydrated
- Do not leave any person or pet inside a closed vehicle, for any length of time.
Monitor for symptoms of heat stroke or heat exhaustion, such as high body temperature, lack of sweat, confusion, fainting, and unconsciousness. Particular vigilance is urged for vulnerable individuals, including children, seniors, individuals with pre-existing lung, heart, kidney, nervous system, mental health or diabetic conditions, outdoor workers, as well as those who are socially isolated.
For more heat health advice, including for vulnerable individuals, visit https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/news/heat.aspx.
Jury begins deliberating manslaughter trial
The fate of a Delburne man charged in a fatal crash two years ago is now in the hands of a jury....
READ MORE +
Mountie dragged under car during Penhold traffic stop
A Red Deer man is facing charges after an RCMP vehicle was rammed in Penhold Sunday night and an...
READ MORE +
Over 1,500 people rally in Grande Prairie in support of oil and gas industry
GRANDE PRAIRIE- It was an eventful day at Muskoseepi Park in Grande Prairie on Sunday, as crowds of...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.