Airdrie RCMP conclude investigation into fatal carbon monoxide leak

By The Canadian Press - rdnewsNOW staff
February 8, 2018 - 7:48am Updated: February 8, 2018 - 8:49am

AIRDRIE- RCMP say a faulty water heater is to blame for a buildup of carbon monoxide gas in an Airdrie apartment block that killed a 12-year-old boy.

Police say the on-demand heater in the suite was not ventilating properly last Sunday, which led to the boy being overcome by the colourless and odourless gas.

The child was taken to hospital in critical condition and died.

The Mounties, Airdrie Fire Department, Atco Gas, and city of Airdrie plumbing and gas inspectors investigated and police determined the CO buildup was accidental.

The 136-unit, four-storey complex was evacuated after emergency crews arrived.

Two other members of the boy's family were treated in hospital, while one other resident of the block was treated at a recreation centre where some tenants had gone after the evacuation.

The Airdrie RCMP, along with their partner agencies, want to express the importance of purchasing, installing, and maintaining smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors within homes and workspaces.

Carbon monoxide is a highly poisonous gas often referred to as ‘The Silent Killer’ as it is invisible, silent and odourless.

A carbon monoxide detector should be located on every floor of the home and within 3 to 5 meters of sleeping quarters.

(The Canadian Press)

Close call for Edson RCMP officer

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.