Red Deerians escape Las Vegas mass shooting unharmed

By Sheldon Spackman
October 2, 2017 - 11:29am Updated: October 2, 2017 - 12:00pm

A Red Deer man and his wife are among the lucky survivors of the deadliest mass shooting in modern U.S. history Sunday night.

Jason Beisick and his wife Tina were with two friends at a three-day country music festival in Las Vegas when their great time suddenly turned into a nightmare.

Beisick says the shooting happened about 15 minutes into a performance by Jason Aldean, the last act of the night at the outdoor venue across the street from the Luxor Hotel and Casino.

“There were four quick, loud pops, which we thought originally were firecrackers, you know as part of the show," Beisick explained. "Then after that, there was a long hail of gunfire as people have seen and heard.”

That's when Beisick says everyone hit the ground before panic ensued. 

"Once we realized that it was actually really heavy gunfire, everybody jumped up and basically pandemonium for the gates. After that, they actually kind of turned the crowd lights on. After that, I’m not really sure what happened in there, as we were running the opposite direction, so it’s hard to say what was going on back inside.”

Beisick says there was only two exits at the venue, one on the Mandalay Bay side and one on the opposite side.

“Of course with gunfire coming from the Mandalay Bay direction, nobody was running for that exit as far as I know. But a lot of people running were for the same exit we did and scaling chain-link fences to run through parking lots, and it was crazy.”

Police were quick to respond, Beisick recounts, arriving on scene within roughly a minute. 

“Police everywhere but we weren’t really able to tell what kind of assistance people were getting. As we were exiting the venue, we didn’t actually see anybody injured besides the one girl who had been running with us. And when we got to the hotel where we took shelter, somebody had noticed that she had been shot in the back and she had no clue, she didn’t even know.”

Beisick says it took him and his group about 30 seconds to get out of the venue before they were able to run about three or four blocks to safety at a nearby hotel.

“We’re starting to process it now and realize just how surreal it is to be involved in something like that and to be so close to something so tragic,” he remarked.

Beisick and his wife will be returning to Red Deer on Tuesday.

Sean Pendergast of Red Deer was also at the concert along with three others when the shooting took place. He took to Facebook to share his account of what took place and to let everyone know they were okay...

Red Deer photo radar locations: Oct 1-15

Join the Discussion

We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.