Mounties in Sylvan Lake are getting a pay raise for the first time in over two years.
Sylvan Lake RCMP had gone without a raise since January 1, 2015 before recently agreeing on a new contract. The increases finalized and proposed for regular members is as follows:
Jan 1, 2015 1.25%
Jan 1,2016 1.25
Apr 1, 2016 2.30
Jan 1, 2017 (Est) 2.50
Jan 1, 2018 (Est) 2.50
The Town of Sylvan Lake pays for 70 per cent of RCMP/policing costs, while the province subsidizes the remaining 30 per cent. The Town has $1,800,000 budgeted for 2017 and $1,850,000 for 2018. As a result of the new contract, policing will now cost the Town $1,982,000 this year.
The Town will be dipping into reserves to cover the remaining $182,000 for this year.
Other news from Sylvan Lake town council this week…
- Second and third reading was given to the updated Community Standards Bylaw;
- Council accepted as information a report on taxi businesses and how they relate to home occupations. Administration was asked to investigate changes to the home occupation regulations, addressing specifically how taxi businesses fit into home occupation licenses;
- Council also directed Administration to participate in the regional consultation process that will inform potential updates to bylaws that regulate vehicles for hire;
- Council granted second and third reading to the Off-site Levy Bylaw as presented. Overall, levy rates are increasing by by an average of 19 per cent, which is lower than 28 per cent as was proposed before concerns were raised by local developers. Off-site levies are charged to developers to help pay for things such as new roads, sewers and water lines.
UPDATED: Three seriously burned in accident at north Red Deer car wash
Three men suffered serious burns in a workplace accident in north Red Deer Friday afternoon. Two...
READ MORE +
Canadian government delegation marking 75th anniversary of Dieppe raid
DIEPPE, France — Veterans Affairs Minister Kent Hehr is leading a Canadian government delegation to...
READ MORE +
Continuing the dream - Red Deer dancer returning to Royal Winnipeg Ballet School
After being selected to attend the Royal Winnipeg Ballet School in the fall of 2016, Ainsley Nivens...
READ MORE +
Join the Discussion
We are happy to provide a forum for commenting and discussion. Please respect and abide by the house rules: Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge, and please suggest removal of comments that violate these standards. See full commenting rules.